Reports - Page 6
No ordinary project for no ordinary atelier: that is how one might describe the challenge taken up by the craftsmen of Manufacture d’Aubusson Robert Four. Three giant rugs, commissioned by a Russian buyer – an art enthusiast appreciative of French heritage – took over a year to be entirely handmade. Covering a total surface area of 417 square metres, the three works were inspired by designs made in an Empire style by Jacques-Louis de La Hamayde de Saint-Ange during the first half of the 19th century.
In 1747, the pottery of Bourg-Joly Malicorne first opened its doors, at the heart of the Sarthe Valley. Its founder, Jean Loiseau, was none other than a former sailor of the high seas, who had previously worked in the potteries of Nevers. Attracted by the region, he decided to settle here to work its rich earth: clay. As the pottery began to prosper, it turned to decorative art and religious art. In 1785, it passed into the hands of Loiseau’s son, and in 1829, now enjoying a solid reputation in the region, was bought by Cador. It was subsequently taken on by Cador’s son-in-law, Jules Béatrix, and his descendants, Léon Pouplard and Jules Moreau.
A company founded in 1867; 60 staff who together master 17 unique skills; designs exported throughout the world, from Moscow to Dubai and New York to Tokyo; a trusted partner of top interior architects, decorators and designers, such as Philippe Starck, Alberto Pinto, Jacques Garcia and Andrée Putman. Henryot & Cie is a benchmark in traditional and specialist furniture and seating.
Located in Liffol-le-Grand, the capital of period seating in the heart of the Vosges Plain, in northeastern France, the company juggles the updating of antique furniture (Louis XIII, Louis XIV, Louis XV, Empire, Directoire, Louis-Philippe, Napoleon III and Art Deco chairs and armchairs) with the creation of contemporary and designer furniture, in all cases producing its designs by hand.
We wanted to find out more about this prestigious, time-honoured company, so we interviewed its managing director, Jean-Louis Janin-Daviet.
While the products of some labelled companies are already displayed in national museums and salerooms around the world, the ateliers and workshops that created them sometimes have their own museums too. The term ‘museum’ is not misused here. These firms with rare, sometimes ancestral, skills, recognised for their excellence, are run by men and women who are passionate about their trades and enjoy sharing their history and skills with the public.